Author Topic: William Henry Furnival  (Read 304 times)

Offline DAVIDB1980

William Henry Furnival
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Have started researching my great-grandfather who served during WW1 but I am having a bit of trouble piecing together his service history. This is my great-grandfather on my dads side and I have been able to obtain a copy of his honourable discharge papers.
With the help of a historian friend of mine I've been able to get a little background on his service history. From what I've found he was with the Lincolnshire Regiment (29513) but suffered an injury while on active service and was transferred to The Labour corps (9347).
It states on the discharge document he served with the Manchester Regiment and also the Lincolnshire regiment, however there is no mention of his service with the Manchester Regiment that I can find anywhere. He was a native of Audenshaw in Manchester and it makes more sense for him to have joined up with them initially but I have nothing apart from a copy of the discharge documents which I have attachef

If anyone in the group can offer any assistance or point me in the right direction of any sources that may help trace any details of my great-grandfathers service with the Manchesters that would be greatly appreciated.

William Henry Furnival, born in 1896 in Hooley Hill

Thank you 🙂
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:24:38 AM by Tim Bell »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: New to the forum-researching my great-grandfather
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
hiya dave welcome to the forum

your great grandfather was in the 12th Lincolnshire regiment[labour]battalion,it was formed at Brocklesby in july 1916
arrived in france august 1916 and used as line of communication troops,then in april 1917 it was formed into two labour companies the 16th and 17th companies,labour corps
its likely your great grandfather did enlist into the manchesters but there wont be any record of this because he didn't serve overseas with them,he enlisted on 12th December 1915
discharged sick 9-9-19

were his parents james+mary,alice furnival

mack

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
Hi David.
I agree with Mack's suggestions, although I couldn't find the firm evidence.  Some man with similar Lincs Regt servce numbers certainly came from the Manchesters. I'd guess they came from 3rd or 4th Bttns, which were based near Brocklesby. William's enlistment date suggests he may have been a Derby Scheme man and many were mobilised to 3rd Bttn.
Welcome
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline DAVIDB1980

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi Mack &Tim, thank you for the welcome!

In answer to your question Mack I know for certain Mary Alice Furnival was his mother as I've seen this from the 1911 census. In terms of James being his fathers name I'll be checking with my mum later as she has all the info from our family tree but that looks a very promising lead.
Tim, that makes sense as well so I'll have a look into that in relation to the Derby scheme.

Appreciate all the information guys,  thank you 🙂

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:09:34 PM »
if james+mary,alice are his parents,then your great grandfather had at least two brothers in the manchesters.
pte 7984 Richard,edwin furnival was killed by shrapnel at st.marguerite on 16th September 1914 with the 2nd manchesters,he had previously been recommended for bringing in wounded men under fire
resided 8 furnace st,dukinfield
worked at moss pit
age 32

pte 4044 Robert furnival
12th manchesters
enlisted 26-8-14
discharged 29-6-17

mack
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:00:04 PM by mack »

Offline DAVIDB1980

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
Hi Mack

Thanks for that, I'll double check the details on the family tree. Hopefully these things match up and it'll be another interesting branch to the family tree.

Mank thanks for taking the time to look at this

David

Offline DAVIDB1980

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
So I've tried to check our family tree and its proving a little more difficult to confirm if james was the fathers name. Because william was born in 1896 and the copy of the census I have is for 1911 and shows mary Alice as the head of the house I can only summarise that the father died between those two dates.
Found mary alice on the list of marriages for Ashton but no husbands name. If you can suggest anyways of searching for these I would be very grateful.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
Hi David,
Mary Alice was still married in 1911, so James must have been counted elsewhere, unless she had re-married another absent chap.  Look at the earlier Census records to see more.  A James Furnival died in Ashton Q3 1918.
Tim
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:39:59 PM by Tim Bell »

Offline DAVIDB1980

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »
Hi Tim,
I looked at the census for 1911 and saw it mention her as the head of the house and definitely missed further on where it stated married! Was that a common occurrence for the husband to not be listed on the census if they were still married? I'm assuming that was the case and not someone else as she still had the same surname.
David

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
James lived with his daughter Mary Alice Welsby at Hooley Hill in 1911.
It isn't uncommon for couples to have different addresses.  Divorce was almost impossible.  Also possible he was just visiting his daughter, but the Census does say Boarder.
PS
I moved the topin to 1914-18, as a more suitable place in the Forum. Hope this is ok David.
It would be worth starting seperate threads for his brothers, if you want to continue those themes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:28:46 AM by Tim Bell »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: William Henry Furnival
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »
4044 Robert furnival has a pension card

mack

Offline DAVIDB1980

Re: William Henry Furnival
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »
Hi Mack
Thank you for that 🙂.
A friend of mine is also a battlefield guide and does research on individual soldiers. He's done a few for me already and I've asked him to take a look at my two great uncles so I'll let you know what I find out. With Robert Furnival he has actually been able to find the details of the shrapnel wound that ultimately got him discharged. Makes pretty grim reading, wounds received in the thigh and groin area, that must have been horrendous!

David