Author Topic: Dunkirk Query  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Dave1212

Dunkirk Query
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »
The old forum had some additional detail provided by our experts about three of the Halifax Hundred captured at Dunkirk:

Clyde R. Cruickshanks 3530798 POW # 6965 Camp Thorn Podgorz
Francis ‘Skip’ McCarthy 3530850 POW # 6969 Camp Thorn Podgorz
William ‘Bill’ Lambert 3531101 POW # 12238 Camp Marienburg

Along with Clyde’s family, I'm happy to report that Bill’s family has just made contact with me. Like the majority of these men, Bill never spoke much of his POW time. Are there additional details available for when/where these men were captured? Clyde’s family has also shared a wonderful portrait of Clyde done after the war.

Our friend, George Lampier (3530404) earlier recounted how Clyde, Skip, himself as well as Mel Coppell & Dannie Serrick were in the same platoon (B/5 according to George). George was wounded sometime he reckons between May 24-26 1940 near the Albert Canal. He knows Clyde & Skip were captured together but he can’t recall if it was before or after this date. George told me they called themselves ‘The Last Platoon’. When I asked him why he stated it was due to the fact no other Allied troops were between them & the German’s during the retreat & at times it felt like they were the only ones left.

George also remembers Bill Lambert but he wasn’t in the same area at this time at least not that he can recall. Any assistance would be appreciated. I also have the same query for Walter O’Hara from the 1st in Singapore.

Thanks as always…
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:10:21 PM by Dave1212 »

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
Re: Dunkirk Query
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
There is a CSM O'Hara (No initial) listed under HQ Company Headquarters in the Order of Battle for Singapore Extract from 1st BN Campaign Malaya 1941-42.  Museum Archive reference MR1/3/1/15.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
Thanks Cliff. According to Arthur Lane, Walter or 'Canada' as he was referred to, served with Arthur in 16 platoon & trained as a machine gunner. I think these might be different O'Hara's.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
You could be right Dave, I only have part of the Order of Battle, my father is on it.  It could be worth checking with the Archive to see if there is another listed.  If you can't get in to the archive email Larysa Bolton at larysa.bolton@tameside.gov.uk  She will get back to you but can be a while if she is busy.
Do you have any photos of him, I would be interested in seeing if he could be identified in one of the two POW Group photos posted in the "Photos and Postcards by Battalion" section.  Look under "Far East Photos", "Changi and Pictures from the Far East", they are on the page numbered 2.  I have high resolution copies of these two photos which can be magnified to enable good facial recognition.
Cliff

Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Dave1212

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »
I appreciate the guidance. We have two photographs of Walter. The first was shared by the family of Tom McCarthy (KIA Dunkirk) which Walter had sent them after Tom's death featuring himself & the only other Canadian in the 1st Battalion. Arthur thought the other chap might be Durzey Taylor but not positively ID'ed yet. Arthur said the photo was taken outside the Tanglin Hospital. The quality of the scanned photo is not great. 

The second photo we have of Walter is included within the 'Photos & Postcards by Battalion/Halifax Hundred/NS Manchesters 1939' (group of twenty soldiers). Walter is listed back row, third from the left. I came across the listed names in a scrapbook from one of the men involved in our story - Rex Smith. A couple of the names tagged to the soldiers (including Walter's) are in question. I have no dates as to Walter's service with the 1st & we know the other 19 lads were all with the 2nd Battalion so I can't confirm it's actually him. I'm hoping in time that another copy of this photo + names surfaces so verification can take place.

Arthur also mentioned that Walter was a very tall lad so I have tried to place him when viewing those photos you kindly pointed out. I just don't know him well enough to pick him out (yet).