Author Topic: Major J.H. Staveacre MID : 7th Manchesters - Gallipoli  (Read 272 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Major J.H. Staveacre MID : 7th Manchesters - Gallipoli
« on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
This officer died on the 4th June 1915 during the 3rd Battle of Krithia.   The CWGC report that he is buried in Grave X1. A. 12 of the Redoubt Cemetery.   However, I note that in a list of officer casualties contained in an authoritative book on the Gallipoli campaign, he is shown as having no known grave and being commemorated on the Helles Memorial, with an additional note to indicate  that the officer is also commemorated in Redoubt Cemetery.   The book was published in 1985.

My thinking is that Staveacre's remains were discovered after the publication of the book, eventually leading to a post 1985 burial, and presumably, to the removal of his name from one of the panels of the Memorial.   Pure conjecture, of course, but any views ?            PhilipG.         

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Major J.H. Staveacre MID : 7th Manchesters - Gallipoli
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
major staveacre has always had a known grave,the burial service was conducted by the reverend Edwin,thomas kerby

mack
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:53:47 PM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »
Mack,   Thank you.  Do you by any chance know the location at which the burial service took place?

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
hello Philip
he was buried in redoubt cemetery.grave details,XI.A.12,he buried Lt j.w womersley of the 1/8th battalion who was killed the same day,in the next grave

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:31:18 AM »
Mack,

Many thanks for your interesting info. regarding Lt Womersley's burial in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles.   This would be in 1923, I understand, when the cemetery was being utilised  for burials as the battlefields were cleared.

In addition to Staveacre at X1. A. 12 and Womersley at X1. A. 13, I see that 1369 L/Cpl W. Bleackley and 2060 Pte R.H.N. Cooper, both of the 6th Manchesters are buried adjacently at X1.A.14. and X1. A. 15.      L/Cpl Bleackley died on the 5th June 1915 and Pte Cooper on the 2nd August 1915.    My research continues.   PhilipG.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:03:57 PM »
]ohm William Womersley is commemorated on a memorial plaque  in the chapel of the church of St John's Chrysostom's in Anson Road, Rusholme, Manchester.

Robert
Robert

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
major staveacre was shot in the back while passing out ammo to the firing line,A/RSM 4234 harry franklin was with him,he said never mind me carry on sgt major,then he died,he was buried in Clapham junction cemetery

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
Mack,

Thank you.  Re Reply No. 4.   I have verified the fact that Padre Kerby was present at the burial of Major Staveacre, Lt. Womersley, L/Cpl Bleackley and Pte Cooper in 1923.   You may have noticed that the CWGC info. records Kerby's surname as Kirby and Bleackley's name as Blackley.    What trials a researcher must face.   PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
hiya Philip
rev kerby wasn't at the burial in 1923,he was the chaplain who buried him back in 1915

I think I know where the confusion lies with the book stating no known grave,the author has mistakingly thought that major staveacre has a special memorial stone in redoubt cemetery like many other manchesters,the special stones commemorate soldiers who are buried in the cemetery but the exact location of their grave is unknown

mack

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
Mack,

Many thanks for your interesting info. regarding Lt Womersley's burial in the Redoubt Cemetery, Helles.   This would be in 1923, I understand, when the cemetery was being utilised  for burials as the battlefields were cleared.

In addition to Staveacre at X1. A. 12 and Womersley at X1. A. 13, I see that 1369 L/Cpl W. Bleackley and 2060 Pte R.H.N. Cooper, both of the 6th Manchesters are buried adjacently at X1.A.14. and X1. A. 15.      L/Cpl Bleackley died on the 5th June 1915 and Pte Cooper on the 2nd August 1915.    My research continues.   PhilipG.
pte 2060 Richard,henry,norman cooper was shot in the head by a sniper after showing his head above the parapet

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 12:15:28 PM »
Mack,   Many thanks to you once again.   There may be merit in your kind suggestion.   Normally I would contact the CWGC in the matter, but it is not an appropriate action to take at this time.  I seem to have spent an inordinate length of time on matters concerning this interesting thread, and no doubt owing to my advancing years, am still confused.   One of my minimal resources concerning this officer suggests that his grave was seen near Clapham Junction.  I never did discover its Gallipoli location.    Stay safe.   Philip.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »
hello Philip
you are not wrong about major staveacres burial location,major Gerald,berkley hurst passed his grave near Clapham junction on his way up to the front

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 11:35:14 AM »
Mack,        I refer to Reply No.7 and to Reply No.8.  May I, please, ask you to look at the Grave Registration Report Sheet No. 12, depicted by the CWGC in their Archives section in respect of this officer whose surname they give as Stoveacre.    It concerns the Redoubt Cemetery after the Armistice.    In addition to its reference to Padre Kerby at the burials of Staveacre, Womersley, Bleackley and Cooper, it also informs that he officiated at the burials of the following :    1584 Pte J.Bolton, Lt. G.S.James, 1562 Pte W. Winstanley, Captain A.C.Leech and 2nd Lt. T.C.Walker - all of the 5th Manchesters.  The Rev. Kerby was also involved with the burial of 2003 Pte F. Ballard of the 9th battalion.    Noteworthy, the document is dated 25.9.23 and 31.12.23.

It now occurs to me, that you may not have seen this particular document, in which case you may now like to examine it.     I have not been able to find any reference to Chaplain Kerby being present at Staveacre's first burial in 1915, which thanks to your confirmation, appears to be near the elusive Clapham Junction.      PhilipG.   

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
hello Philip
I have seen the grave reports,but the dates refer to the completion of the cemetery and the final inspection,the reference to the chaplains who carried out the service are from 1915,not all the officiating chaplains are mentioned in some burial services.

a example
2397 Harold,mossman granger,harold and his brother pte 2393 Thomas granger were taking pot shots at the turks on 29th may,harold was shot by a sniper and died a few minutes later,he was buried behind the trenches the following day,the reverend kerby performed the service,while under fire
Harold died not knowing that he and his brother Thomas had been granted commissions on 10th march

the reverend kerby officiated at the burials of over a 1000 manchesters during his time at Gallipoli

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »
Mack,

Very many thanks for the clarification.   PhilipG.