Author Topic: Manchester Regiment in India during 1880s  (Read 285 times)

Offline SandiB

Re: Manchester Regiment in India during 1880s
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
Hi Mack
Really impressed with all the help I'm getting in trying to piece together my family's history in the army. You have raised a great point with regard to Margaret, William Thomas' wife. I too had wondered how she managed to return to India with her boys.
I had thought, without any evidence, that she may well have met Samuel while back in England. William Thomas developed TB while with the RA and died three years after his return to Devon.
Margaret was of Irish descent, her father and grandfather also served in the army in India. They both appear to have died in the same year in Rawalpindi.
It seems the more information I find, the more questions I have !!!
Thanks so much for your help
Sandi

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
hiya sandi
I think ive found the answer about Margaret,she was a army school mistress,it would make sense to return to the place she was raised in and she was probably still on the army strength

mack

Offline SandiB

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 10:08:20 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply earlier Mac but your reply went to my spam box for some reason.

I also found information to confirm that she was a teacher. However, would the army have covered the cost of her return to India as a widow?

Not sure whether you're aware, but I live in Ecuador at the moment. We have a very strict lock down here so I have time to work on finding out as much as I can about the family. Hoping to write some sort of creative memoir on William Dart. Just dabbling, nothing too serious.

Thanks so much for your help
Sandi B

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »

I also found information to confirm that she was a teacher. However, would the army have covered the cost of her return to India as a widow?

If she was employed by the army and it had reason to send her back to India, yes the army would have paid her passage.

Charlie