Author Topic: John Ward (ardwick)  (Read 18427 times)

shoemaker

Re: John Ward (ardwick)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
Hi Pat
Sorry for not replying sooner ,have been away from p.c.Thank you for the information you have posted ,went to the library found nothing on 181 Stockport Road so now as soon as I get time will head down there again and look at those adresses,with this Family History hobby so many unknown roads to go down.
With let you know if anything turns up Thank you again
Shoemaker

maggie 12

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
hi
there is a john ward on the pension records
occupation shoemaker
place of birth ancoats manchester
the age seems wrong 34 years
next of kin mother mary, 44 worsley street rochdale road manchester

margaret

shoemaker

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
Hi Margaret
                I thank you for the information, I was sure it was my John ,then I rechecked age and you are right he is to old for mine.Every thing was right Mothers name ,job ,area he lived in and when I looked at the way he signed his name only the W and A were different.Thank you again
 In reply to Pats post on August 22nd   John Ward  Boot and Shoe Repairer,  83 Queen's Road Harpurhey. 1929 Kelly's
Found this was him ,now as soon as I can get back to the Library I have some thing to work on.
Shoemaker

M/C P

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 05:36:48 AM »
Dear Shoemaker

That is a something, I am glad to say. Do keep up your good work, especially as you can get to Manchester Archives. Do you know when John died? If you draw a blank with the AVL, as there is no guarantee that he gave this address either for his AVL perhaps you could search the archived newspapers for his obituary. Sometimes there is recognition given to a former soldier's military history; or perhaps it is more valued these days? Either way it would build up your knowledge of him.

Kind regards

Pat

shoemaker

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:21:58 PM »
Hi Pat and all who have helped me in my seach
I managed to get to Manchester Central Libary ,checked out 83 Queens Rd from 1914-1938 and that was where he was living at the time of his death.
I then checked out the AVL for Manchester(I was helped by a chap no lie who was born and lived at 99 Queens Rd, he saw I was not getting very far and offered help ,the look on our faces) information found was he was a Private in the Lancashire Fusiliers and was discharged in 1919.
I am now waiting for the service records for W to go on line in the New Year if they have survied.
Thank You again for all your help
Shoemaker

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »

fingers crossed then!  ;)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

M/C P

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »
Dear Shoemaker

That is is really good news, did the entry include his service no. ?
I looked at the medal cards on Ancestry and there were 9 men called John Ward and 13 Registration numbers. It is free access at the moment and I would suggest you take advantage of this and download them all to your p.c. if you do not yet know his service number. It will be great when they have the service records from N. But from my experience many of the Manchester men (well mine anyway!!) are not listed so they must have been completely destroyed with the bombing, but good luck with yours when W is available. I looked at this medal card but do forgive I cannot download it as I know I would make a hash of it:
Medal Card Ancestry
John Ward Lancs Fus
Pte
Date Of Discharge 8 Jan 1919
Enlistment 2 Sep 1914
Cause of Discharge P 392 ( XX V9) 2 (a) /2
Medals: Victory H 1 101/ B 14/ 3022
British  do
15 Star H/1/37B    81
Action Taken: I 11? ST  H/1821/1 1 [encircled]  15 7 1915

I guess that this man went to France.

I do hope your perseverence pays off, and there are many helpful people around to help you like your ex resident of Queens Road! What a coincidence.

Kindest regards
Pat

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
Hi Pat et al,

I thought I would upload the Card you found as it is for his Silver War Badge & his other medals are also recorded on it.

I think Pat is right about him going to France
[encircled]  15 7 1915 [/b]
and my main object of posting the Index card is so that chaps can confirm that for you.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

shoemaker

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
Thank you for the informatation Wendi and Pat, I now have a service number taken from the AVL Manchester Platting Divison Polling District P
Ward John 83 Queens Road    24667  Lanc Fus.  I looked up the Medals Record and it showed awarded Victory and War Medal. To find out any more information on his Service I take it I wait now for the W to come on line. Can I push for another question why would he join the Lancs and not the Manchesters or were they not given a choice.
Shoemaker

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »
Hi Shoemaker !

His MIC is light on info, but the Roll & Page numbers, if they were looked up, may tell slightly more  :-\ 

Perhaps the 5 figure number (24667) indicates he was from the general intake and therefore went where ever he was sent?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:42:35 PM by Wendi »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

M/C P

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
That is so good to see that you have a number and a medal card, albeit brief on details as Wendy says. I wonder if the one at the NA will give more enlightenment? They are down to two quid now and at least you do not have to guess John's service number.

I have to say it Shoemaker! And what is wrong with the Lancashire Fusiliers! in comparison to the Man. Regiment! You sound a bit disappointed! But I know this was the subject of your initial enquiry so I will forgive you and just say this that if you have the time have you thought about a visit to the museum? The Lancashire Fusiliers Museum that is while you are waiting for the next issue of names on Ancestry for the Servicemen?

Here you go:
Lancashire Fusiliers Museum
Museum, Bury
Bookings & enquiries: +44 (0)161 764 2208
Museum dedicated to the Lancashire Fusiliers Regiment. Discover the history of this famous regiment from its foundation in 1688 and its connection with Wellington and Napoleon and find out why they won 6 V.C.'s before breakfast at Gallipoli. Outstanding collection of medals and period uniforms, plus regimental records.
Opening times:-9.30-4.30 Daily (closed wed-sun) Visitors travelling from out of the area are advised to check opening times.

I wonder if there are any clues concerning John's Battalion from his service number out there?

Sounds great wish I could go too.

Best of luck,
Kind regards,
Pat

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
his service number,looks like one that was issued to the reserve battalions,of the salford brigade[salford pals] the majority of them,would have been posted to the 15th,16th,19th or 20th battalions.

roy will be able to pin him down.

mack ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:49:41 AM by mack »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
That is so good to see that you have a number and a medal card, albeit brief on details as Wendy says. I wonder if the one at the NA will give more enlightenment?
Pat

The one at the National Archives for £2 is the same as the one I have posted for free, for you.  In fact the one you would get from TNA by download, for £2, would only show you his first page, is on a sheet with 5 other soldiers, and is not in colour.

In this instance there is no value in downloading his MIC from TNA.

shoemaker

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
Hi Pat  nothing wrong with the Fusilers I just throught if the men lived in the boundary of Manchester then they joined the local regiment,and thank you for information on the Musem I have looked on the web and it said it is now closed and moving to Bury town center next to the Town Hall opening in spring 2009.So in spring I have a day out booked ,thank you again for all help given
Regards Shoemaker

M/C P

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 04:41:29 AM »
That's good, by the time Spring comes around you may have his Btn. as Mack suggests and can find out where they served. Seems a long way off aye!

It has occurred to me that you could search the LDS film for your John. There is a centre at Ashton. It is not easy to find what you are looking for on the LDS site, but if you go to Title Search enter Military Records. Scroll down to Military Records of the British Army World War 1914-1918
View Film Notes: Select the Group that John's name appears in.
View Film Notes: These records are referred to as the "Burnt Documents". About 70 per cent of these records were destroyed during the Blitz in World War II. Many of the remaining records were badly damaged, but most can be read. Many documents are filed out of order. Stray documents often appear in the middle of totally unrelated files etc.

If you find John name/ service no. you need to ask the Centre if they can photocopy all the pages for you, or ask them before you place a request to get the film in for you. There is usually a small charge for this to cover postage etc, but it is usually just a small donation.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you how many pages there would be if John is listed or how long it would take on average, the Centre here is 100k's away and by the time I get there they are already covering the screens! But I do know from previous visits that they are very helpful, so I hope the experience for you too will be a good one.

John Ward unfortunaley covers three films and possibly 4. I have looked them up:

Ward, James R. to Ward, John  VAULT BRITISH Film 2170156 
Ward, John to Ward, John  VAULT BRITISH Film 2147807 
Ward, John to Ward, John  VAULT BRITISH Film 2147808 

I do not know if they have an index page with service number at the beginning of the Film, just ask the Centre before you order.

Ashton England
Patterdale Road Crowhill Estate
Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 161-330 3453
Hours: M, T, F 10am-1pm; W 10am-3pm, 7pm-9pm; alt. Sat 10am-1pm

The Centre would usually hold the films until you have completed your search so it may take one or two visits. Just make sure you ask them, so that they do not send them back.

Kindest regards and good luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:54:01 AM by M/C P »