Author Topic: John Ward (ardwick)  (Read 18429 times)

shoemaker

John Ward (ardwick)
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
Like a lot of people doing family history I am working from childhood memory.I rember a photo of a man in uniform and was told that was your Grandfather in ww1 and that was end of information.His name was John Ward and in 1913 was living at 181 Stockport Road Levenshulme South Manchester,(Occupation Boot Repairer) I know he survied the war ,but my question is: with living near to Ardwick would he have joined the Manchester Regiment or because he would be age 28 in 1914 would he be stationed at home i.e England.I can not understand why Familys never talked much about past members.
Thank you in advance for any help given
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:50:27 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
John Ward
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
hi shoemaker

and welcome!

john being 28 in 1914 would put him right in the front line!

we'll have to do a bit of checking around, it's easier trying to find when someone died in the war than if they survived, but we'll have a go  ;)

if he lived in ardwick, i think there's a pretty good chance he joined the manchester regiment, and i'll have a quiet guess which battalion http://www.themanchesters.org/8th%20batt.htm but we have to see what we can find out

cheers

chris

ps i'll move this to the WW1 section
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: John Ward (ardwick)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:49 AM »
john is from my home town,i checked the absent voters register for 181 stockport rd,but nobody registered a vote from that address.

mack

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »

shoemaker

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Thank you Mack and Harrbobs for your help.with being new does the fact that no one registered for a vote at 181 Stockport Rd mean he may have been in the Army from 1914,or may have moved house as he had a wife and four children.
At the age of 28 would he have been called up later i.e 1916 I find I get frustraed because the family never spoke about the past and now this is my hobby there are so many answers I would like.Thank You again

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
hiya shoemaker.
servicemen who were still serving,in 1918,were allowed to register their vote,no matter where they were in the world.
any serviceman who had been discharged or killed,before 1918,will not appear in the absent voters registers.
theres a lot more WW1 stuff still to be loaded on the ancestry site,hopefully,we may find a service record for john,when they finish transcribing the last of the service and pension records.

mack

Offline cathyaus

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:44:42 AM »
HI shoemaker
I know how you feel ! I was tracing my husband's family tree & recently stumbled upon the fact that his grandfather was in WW 1. None of this information has been passed down through the family & my husband's father is deceased - only leaving my mother in law to ask questions & to try to find out where the missing medals are.
The mother in law believes that all this family history research is just digging up "dirt" & when I say to her that I am trying to find out information that only she would be able to tell us about - she doesn't care & has actually said to me "so what if he was in the war - I don't care!"

So like me - you will have to find out any information that you can - & asking plenty of questions on this forum to try a build up the information.
Good luck !
Cathy

shoemaker

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
Hi Cathyaus
                Your story is the same as mine,when I asked questions about the family I was told oh I dont rember  well my mums memory must have been bad because now she has passed away,by doing family history ,last week I found she had eight uncles and one aunt.(another seach to start)
On dads side he must have had memory loss as well ,he was not sure where his dad lived  gee it was on a main road in Manchester I found out.I dont think there is any dark secrets in the past or maybe there is

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »
 ;D

let's start with the possibles on the MICs, did he have a middle initial?

shoemaker

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
Evening Harribobs
                       Looking at Johns Marriage Certificate,in 1910 it does not show a middle name and on my Fathers birth certifiate there is no middle name shown, so I think this makes the seach a little harder.I rember once my Father saying he pushed him round the grounds of Manchester Grammar School in a wheel chair after the war,but said no more,which made me think he may have suffered from T.B and might have been discharged early on the grounds of ill health
Thank you for help

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
ok, it would have helped if he did  ;D ( and i think we've also got to consider he had one but didn't use it)

have you asked around your family about medals? they will have his service number on them

chris

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
Just because a man lived in Ardwick does not mean that he would automatically consider enlisting in the 8th Manchesters.  At the other end of Ardwick Green was the headquarters of the Manchester Artillery.  For many that would have had much more appeal.
Robert

shoemaker

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Hi Chris
          I have no family to ask about medals etc,as both parents and Aunts have passed on.The house was cleared by some one with no intrest in history.Reading between the lines I hope you follow my drift,looking at Johns birth certificate
there is no middle name shown,I looked on the Pension Records and found nothing but would he be entiled to a pension if he only served i.e two years? I will try to get to Manchester Central Libary and look at the voters list for 1914-1918
Thank you again for help

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »
i have looked on the MGS roll of honour (but i suspect they all may be casualties) and the closest is F J Ward

struggling here i'm afraid,.,. :(

M/C P

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 06:27:49 AM »
Shoemaker

I do not know if this will help you much when you go and search in the Library but if your man was a shoemaker it might as they are the sum total in the Trade Directories of John Ward's connected to this Trade, and perhaps will give you additional addresses other than Stockport Road, which I cannot find in the Directories for this trade, and has been searched pretty thoroughly here for the AVL's.

John Ward Boot and Shoe Repairer, 81  Garrett Street. Oldham Road. 1909 Slaters Trade Directory

John Ward Boot and Shoe Repairer, 61 Addison Street Ardwick.  1911 Slaters

John Ward Boot and Shoe Repairer, 44 Whitley Street Rochdale Road. 1929 Kelly's

John Ward  Boot and Shoe Repairer,  83 Queen's Road Harpurhey. 1929 Kelly's

Good luck anyway
Pat