Author Topic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: The Daily Sketch
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
The photograph was probably taken at Reninghelst near Poperinghe in early January 1918 whilst the 16th were training and reorganising.
Unfortunately this particular photograph is not held in the regimental archives although there are a good many portraits of individual officers of the 16th.
Robert

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:09:21 PM »
Robert,

Any chance there are portraits of Knowles and Sharples that you may be able to scan and post for us? I reckon these two are here somewhere.

I would particularly like one of Knowles, who was Transport O' and good mates with JTB.

Cheers,

Dave

tisgrannie

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »
I hope you don't mind I forwarded the cutting to rootschat. I hope someone will be able to add on here.
tisgrannie

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »
From Tis  ;)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 05:42:35 AM »
Tis and Wendi,

Thanks very much. I hope we can come up with something!

Cheers,

Dave

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »
Is it just me, or does it appear that there are 'blacked out' men standing behind this lot. Maybe erased so as to fit the photo within the borders and not chop of their heads?

Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »
i cant help with the paper dave,they dont have copies of the daily sketch at the library,otherwise they would be in the post for you,sorry mate.

mack

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »
Its OK Mack, you have helped me enough with JTB so no problems!

Thanks for looking anyhow. I can't wait to see what is on the bottom of the photo, hopefully a full article describing those in the picture and their actions.

I managed to find another clipping, which quotes JT Ball. I will post it when I can find it again! It states that he was wounded at Etrelliers, at about 10am during the Battle for Manchester Hill, in elbow and thigh by shrapnel, then had to crawl almost a mile back to the dressing station! A great find!

Cheers, mate...

Have also managed to find a good Navy Mess that sells Leffe Blond for only $4 (about 2 pounds in the current exchange!) ;D

Dave

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 05:09:04 AM »
Here tis then!

A shorter caption than I hoped, but it looks as though it is Major Roberts sitting between Ball and Elstob. I still think it has been taken from a larger photo, and the Officers at rear been blanked out so it fits the frame. Would love to know how to get a hold of the original!

An excellent find nonetheless and a very kind fellow on the GWF who was owed a big thankyou.

There is, apparently, quite an amount of info on the Manchesters in the Daily Sketch newspapers, all of which are archived at the library in Colindale. Might be a good data source for a Londoner on this forum to make use of.

Cheers,

Dave

liverpool annie

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 09:04:06 PM »
Mornin' Dave!

I guess copies would be held at the British Library (Newspapers) Colindale.

Here's a link to their website http://www.bl.uk/services/reading/newsrr.html

Wendi  :)

That's what our Girl Wendi told you in your first reply Dave !!  :D :D :D

Smart Girl that Wendi !!

Annie  :) :)

Offline DaveMurphy

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 12:52:44 AM »
No doubt Annie!

It was just a matter of convincing someone I don't know on the other side of the globe that it would be a good idea to go and look for me! ;D

What I would give for a couple of days in your half of the globe to go and search in some of these places...

Cheers,

Dave

tisgrannie

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 05:28:11 AM »
Hi Dave, I'm sure Annie would love to join you. Isn't it bloomin marvellous that we have these places to look into though. We can't always go on this side of the Globe either, its a good job we have you and Annie to bring these connections to our attention.
The world at your fingertips!!!
Best wishes
tisgrannie