Author Topic: Captain Oliver Joseph Sutton MC : 9th Manchesters  (Read 1288 times)

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: Captain Oliver Joseph Sutton MC : 9th Manchesters
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »
Philip
Map 4 shows 2 Coys of the 9th Bn in front of Trinket redoubt on the morning of the 22nd. I believe the maps, as a rule, show the situation at 8am. It looks like the Bn retired through Roisel during the 22nd or the early hours of the 23rd. I suspect due to the prevailing circumstances at the time errors will have been made as to what happened where and when.
Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Captain Oliver Joseph Sutton MC : 9th Manchesters
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
Charlie,

Thank you and I have noted your helpful remarks.   In the lamentable absence of a regimental history for a particular battalion of the Manchesters, I am the first to admit that an attempt to utilise the East Lancs. Regiment's excellent battalion history is tempting fate.   "But when in need....."    It did not help matters that the 9th Manchesters left the 42nd Div. on the 19th February 1918 to join 198 Brigade of the 66th Division.

However, favourable mention in respect of the withdrawal was made of Lt.Col. G.P.Norton DSO of the 2/10th Manchesters who was attached in command of one of the East Lancashire Regiment's battalions.    I know little of this officer, but a forum note records him leaving the Manchesters on the 15th February 1918, presumably for attachment to the East Lancs.      PhilipG.