Author Topic: HELP WITH A FALLEN 2nd MANCHESTER PLEASE...  (Read 1520 times)

Offline silkman3811

HELP WITH A FALLEN 2nd MANCHESTER PLEASE...
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:31:27 AM »
I'm hoping someone can shed a little light on the following soldier of the 2nd Manchester's...

According to SDGW, 325 Pte. GEORGE SMITH was killed in action (although his Medal Index Card shows him as "Died") on 20 October 1914 in the Pas-de-Calais, France.

He enlisted at Ashton-under-Lyne, but his place of residence is shown as Hastings, NEW ZEALAND!

Unfortunately neither SDGW or the CWGC website give his age or any next of kin info. I did find a Pte. GEORGE SMITH, born Macclesfield in 1888, in the 1911 Census. He is listed with 1st Btn. Manchester Regiment at Kamptee, INDIA. Could this be the same man?

I can't find any other details for him... how he found his way to New Zealand and why he returned to England to enlist for service rather than join the New Zealand army.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: HELP WITH A FALLEN 2nd MANCHESTER PLEASE...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
hiya steve.
he was probably doing his period in the reserve,his number looks like 1st manchesters,he would have to report to the nearest army depot in NZ and make his way to England to rejoin his regiment,issy smith was in Australia when the war began,he hitched a ride on a Australian troopship after reporting at the nearest depot.
a few years ago,i put together a casualty list for the 2nd battalion for 1914,but couldn't find anything about George.

mack ;D

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »
I would agree with Mack,the Empire at the time ( not Star Wars) sent lots of ships back to Britain with lots of reservists, and as Mark has shown with his example of Izzy Smith.

Steve, you just have to keep digging.

Best of luck with your research

Offline silkman3811

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure he'd returned following mobilisation as he was in France by 27/08/14... I think the voyage from New Zealand would have taken about six weeks, so he wouldn't have been back in the UK until mid-September at the earliest.

Do you think this is the same man as shown on the 1911 Census (serving in India with 1st Btn. Manchester Regiment)

Offline Timberman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »
Hi Steve
I know this is a bit late but,

On the soldiers effects, his death was presumed on or since the 20/10/1914.
His next of kin was his father William, Looking at the dates it look
as if they struggled to find him.

Neil