Author Topic: 2nd Lt. John Foulkes : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regiment  (Read 754 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
2nd Lt. John Foulkes : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regiment
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:23:24 AM »
This officer was in the same draft to La Neuville as the poet Wilfred Owen, both joining "D" Coy. under the command of Captain H. Somerville MC on the 15th September 1918.       After the end of WW!, Foulkes became a headmaster of an elementary school in Stockport, Cheshire.   Owing to advancing years, I have forgotten the name of the school.   A strange request, but help wanted in this respect if possible.   Foulkes' son and I were at school together, but lost touch as  we were both serving abroad during WW2.

Returning to 2nd Lt. Foulkes,   Owen was 2 i/c  "D"Coy. and during the battle at Joncourt Owen ordered Foulkes and his men to take "Swiss Cottage", a farm on the outskirts of Joncourt.  Both Owen and Foulkes were awarded the Military Cross, the recommendations being put forward by Captain Leonard Taylor MC & 2 bars.     PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd Lt. John Foulkes : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »
A few years after the conflict, John Foulkes was able to visit the grave of his comrade Wilfred Owen and retrace his steps along the towpath of the Sambre-Oise canal at Ors where the Manchesters had fought so bravely.   It seems too, that he had brought a wooden cross suitably marked, which he firmly placed close against the wooden cross already placed there originally.   A true comradely gesture, because he could not then have anticipated the world wide renown Owen was later to achieve.     I have since wondered whether or not he visited the grave of 2nd Lt. James Kirk VC who is buried close by and upon whose grave a wreath was placed last November on behalf of the Regiment.     PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
hiya Philip
I wouldn't know how or where to search for former headmasters,ime sure there must be records somewhere.

during WW2 he was living at 335 bramhall lane stockport with his wife kate and son john,carpenter foulkes,was john carpenter foulkes your former pal,he passed away on 20-1-1987 in lough Lincolnshire,resided at the chestnuts,fen lane,grainthorpe,lough

john snr died in Grimsby in 1967,his wife kate also died in Grimsby on 20-10-92,this was her hometown where her and john married on 28-3-21

mack

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
179325 john carpenter foulkes.BA,london gazette 1st January 1953,to be flight lieutenant education branch,RAF

wing commander 179325 john carpenter foulkes.1st January 1968 awarded OBE

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »
Mack,
Many thanks for your important info.    An informant from the past intimated that Foulkes' son had been amongst the 55,000 aircrew of Bomber Command who lost their lives in WW2.  Obviously, this was not the case for, as you discovered, he was a Wing/Co. in the RAF Education Branch.   Nevertheless, my research continued as Lt. Foulkes had a daughter, indeed, pre-WW2 she joined other girls waiting for the school bus outside the address you quoted.   I was fortunate to still be in touch with a lady who had been my friend in 1939 and onwards, a lady who after I joined the RN and went overseas, similarly joined the Navy as a WRNS Coder, with I suspect Bletchley Park type duties.   Importantly, she knew Foulkes' daughter at her school.   Thus eventually, I was able to meet Lt Foulkes' now married daughter and pose suitable questions.    (Flatteringly she remembered me from pre-war times).

It appeared that after WW1, Lt Foulkes had continued to keep in touch with a Mr Taylor and eventually from this source important papers passed to Foulkes' daughter.   Who was this Mr Taylor?     Following confirmation via a recent post on this forum, and thanks to Charlie & Timberman - 3rd September post - this turned out to be Captain Leonard Taylor MC & 2 bars.   Interestingly, pre-1939 and in view of his service with Wilfred Owen in WW1, Lt Foulkes received visits from writers, one of whom was the renowned poet Edmund Blunden, the first major editor of Wilfred Owen.   Thanks again.    PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
her name was patricia Philip,she married norman denny in 1947,they were both still alive in 2004 and living in stockport,i will PM you the address,better not put it on the open forum

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
Mack,

Thanks.  There is no need to bother I'm up to date on that score. PhilipG.