Author Topic: 376529 Sgt. John Percival Savage MM : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regt.  (Read 616 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: 376529 Sgt. John Percival Savage MM : 2nd Bn. Manchester Regt.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
Thank you Mack.   Sergeant Savage comes over as a brave soldier.   He is buried, of course, in Joncourt British Cemetery.   It so happens, that in the past I have needed to visit this cemetery - re 203357 Pte. T. Jones of the 2nd Manchesters, comes to mind.  The cemetery is mostly given over to casualties suffered by the Lancashire Fusiliers and the 2nd Manchesters, so my eye was immediately drawn to one particular grave, namely that of Pte. W.V. Thompson of the 20th Hussars who was kia on the 30th September 1918.

Following the rapid advance of British troops at the time, it had become of increasing concern to the General Staff as to the locations of the various attacking infantry battalions.  Thus, in September 1918 it was decided to use cavalry units of various numbers (e.g. officers' patrols and above) to report accordingly.

I suggest that Pte. Thompson of the Hussars was killed looking for the progress of the Lancashire Fusiliers and 2nd Manchesters, who at that time, were approaching the Joncourt area.   PhilipG.
pte 203357 tom jones,16 ellesmere st,wigan

his officer wrote to his family and told them what happened

I detailed pte jones and four other orderlies to carry a wounded comrade out,he left the dugout just before the others,carrying the equipment of one of the others,and he was never seen again,i would have notified you earlier but I was hoping that he might have come through one of our CCSs,i fear I can hold little hope and the worst has happened,he was my orderly at Colchester until the CO desired his services

worked at cleworth hall pit
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:03:36 PM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
Mack,

Thank you for the detail relating to Pte. Tom Jones.   My visit all those years ago was in connection with Wilfred Owen.     As to the officer's remarks, perhaps his words "he was never seen again" could have been better phrased.

My reference to Pte. Thompson's NOK address was prompted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's invariable practice, as you will know, to ensure "equality in death".   I thought this was an example of that excellent custom.   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »

In the History of the British Cavalry (Marquess of Anglesey) we are advised that soon after actions in the region of Joncourt, "the 20th Hussars were sent to the American Corps...."    PhilipG.