Author Topic: captain ashe.manchester hill  (Read 1923 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
captain ashe.manchester hill
« on: July 15, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »
when captain ashes medal went on sale,the write up by dix noonan the auctioneers gave a very brief write up on how he won his MC,the rest of the write up was all about colonel elstobs stand on the hill,it seem to imply that capt ashe played some roll in the stand on the hill itself along with colonel elstob.
if col elstob had survived the war,i wonder what he would say to those who write up this crap,ime sure he would have told them that captain ashe was making his own stand elsewhere on the slopes of the hill as the CO of A.coy,he was putting up his own gallant fight alongside his men until he was killed by a bomb

mack

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:36:35 PM by mack »

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: captain ashe.manchester hill
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »
Mack,
No doubt they were trying to extract every last penny from an unwary buyer by implying a very close connection of the acts of bravery. An MC awarded to someone fighting next to a VC winner is no doubt worth more than a MC awarded for an independent act of gallantry. Or am I being cynical?
Charlie

timberman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
No your not Charlie.
I just had a look at some of the info on Ashe on the internet.
One on a power point is headed
Manchester Hill Resources
Captain Edward Neville Ashe VC.

If they googled him the very first link is the write up on
the main site.

They sold for £1400

Neil
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:26:47 PM by timberman »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:12:29 AM »
they even get the numbers wrong,they quote that 8 officers and 160 men were at Manchester hill,i bet the other 600 manchesters who were there would have summat to say about that.
its not just dix noonan that got this wrong,other write ups think that there were only 8 officers and 160 men at the hill

mack
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:16:34 AM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »
Mack,

I recognise your frustration concerning the accuracy of website posts.    In the past I have come across websites where lines of poetry were wrongly stated.   Moreover, it was not easy to have the errors corrected.       However, the internet has its good points.    This morning and utilising its facilities, I "visited" Manchester Hill and then moved on to Francilly-Selency to see the Manchesters' Memorial located near the church.      I see that land near the redoubt now has a board stating "Private Land".     PhilipG.