Author Topic: Finklestein in Manchester Regiment  (Read 609 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Re: Finklestein in Manchester Regiment
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2022, 01:15:14 PM »
Soldiers Died in the Great War and Jewish Roll both have a reputation for typos and other errors.  I think the nearby numbers 56009 & 56012 for the (probably) two brothers gives a strong indication these are more likely accurate than SDGW 60637

An interesting angle is the service record for 56007 Anton Camel, another Russian born British Subject was concripted in 3rd Bn on 18/10/1917, aged 22.  THis is probably the same date as the brothers and I wonder if there was some change in conscription for foreign born nationals at this time.  Anton's Service File has indications he did not want to serve. nb Anton was Catholic. Embarked for France March 1918 and transferred to West Surrey & Labour Corps.
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline martinsugarman

Re: Finklestein in Manchester Regiment
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »
Thanks Tim; I agree on the 'closeness of the numbers' bit; I hope the CWGC do as well. But am concerned the CWGC will notice the Ancestry SDGW transcript gives the Manchester Regiment number of Nathan as different to that in BJBH. But I have seen MIC's with two numbers for the same regiment and will say that in my appeal.