Author Topic: 8259 Lance Sgt Harry Monkhouse - 2nd Vol Bn - any information appreciated  (Read 551 times)

Offline TJ1GH

Hello everyone,

I came across the photo I have attached of my Great Great Uncle's grave in Harrismith.

He was Harry Monkhouse of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion. I came across the photo while researching a different family member but would love to know anything more about him or his service between 1899 and his death in January 1902.

Any context or information would be amazing. Are there any known photos of that company?

best wishes,

Tim

Offline TJ1GH

One particular questions I have is regarding the Boer War Memorial in Manchester where he is recorded as Corporal J.Monkhouse. The rank difference I understand; Corporal being the substantive rank but I am surprised that the initial would be wrong.

Were mistakes like this common. His father was J Monkhouse and is listed as the recipient of his pension in his Personal effects but this is the only idea I have about where that J may have come from.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline TJ1GH

Hi Tim,

I think this is a good suggestion and I wondered that but there is not a J on any of the birth certificates, census information or military records. Yes the error, if it is one, is repeated on The Boer War Memorial, the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Boer War Memorial, the Cathedral plaque and the plaque at University Barracks.

Regards,

Tim